With about a month left until the beginning of the fall term, many of you may be looking at finishing up your summer internship. Here are a few tips on how to put those final touches on your experience:
1. Make a list of what you still need to accomplish before your last day.
When making this list also look at what you are 100% responsible for and what is a shared responsibility. Use your best judgment to prioritize your remaining tasks.
2. Meet with your supervisor to communicate your list of priorities and to find out if there is anything you have overlooked
Also use this meeting to confirm your final day at the organization
3. Collect contact information from those individuals that you are interested in staying in contact with.
Building your professional connections is one of the most important aspects of your internship experience. Don’t hesitate to let someone know that they have had a positive impact on your experience at their organization; keep in touch!
4. Consider asking supervisors or colleagues that you have connected with if they are willing to serve as references for you in the future
5. Create documentation of your experiences and collect artifacts that you can show at future interviews and other opportunities
Get copies of any projects you may have worked on, publications, campaigns etc.
6. Add your internship experience to your resume
Do this while the experiences are still fresh; you’d be amazed at how quickly we forget!
7. Graciously attend any thank you events and functions that may be planned at your site
8. Send a thank you note to your supervisors and co-workers in your work team
9. Last but not least, make sure to take home all of your belonging on the last day!
Best of luck with finishing your internship experience and make the most of the rest of the summer!