Love working with kids?
Looking for an internship right in the heart of the UW-Madison campus?
Consider interning with the Neighborhood House, the oldest community center in Madison
Our mission is to provide high quality programming and social services that facilitate the growth of a diverse, responsible and welcoming community.
Neighborhood House will create opportunities for area residents to strengthen the quality of their community by making connections, building relationships and embracing diversity through social, educational and recreational activities.
Responsibilities & Role
- Help lead and supervise campers.
- Maintain physical and emotional safety of participants at all times and in all locations during the camp day, monitoring the well-being of campers and referring problems to the Program Director.
- Collaborate with counselors, the Program Director and volunteers at Neighborhood House Summer Youth Camp to create a lively, enriching and open environment for our campers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with campers throughout the day by engaging in conversation and play with campers during meals and unstructured time.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents of campers by communicating positively about camp activities and their camper’s participation.
- Follow Neighborhood House Summer Youth Camp procedures relating to safety, and keeping track of campers.
- Encourage and model healthy nutrition with eating habits.
- Supervise and assist with food preparation as instructed by the Program Director.
- Follow program rules and enforce rules for campers.
- Assist with maintaining a clean environment at Neighborhood House Summer Youth Camp by making sure that campers clean up after themselves and help with keeping the facilities clean.
- Strictly adhere to all camp and building policies pertaining to maintaining a safe space for campers with allergies.
- Working on various curriculum projects to be determined before Summer Camp starts
- Working with child behavioral and background issues during summer camp
- Enthusiasm and patience in working with children
- Working with youth, if possible, in camp programs or in a classroom environment.
- Willingness to work with youth from all different types of backgrounds.
- Must be able to pass a background test
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Location: 29 S. Mills St., Madison WI
Time Period: June 17-August 23, 2013; hours are flexible
Desired Background: All majors encourage to apply
Organization Contact: Amanda Ryan
Organization Website: www.neighborhoodhousemadison.org/
** Please visit BuckyNet for further application details*
Application Deadline: May 31, 2013